Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help

От Michael Friedrich
Тема Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter C. Lai wrote:
>  From the roll-your-own side, have you looked at an alternative Nagios
> event broker called livestatus? It's written by Matthias Kettner as part
> of his client-centric mk-check Nagios plugin suite.

Regarding this in reflection of this email livestatus won't make that
much sense. Earth is asking Space for some livedata, Space answers?

Duncavage, Daniel P. (JSC-OD211) wrote:
> Correct.  We are looking to use Nagios to monitor various parameters on our network, then store them in postgresql,
whichwe will then synch to the ground and distribute as a quasi realtime telemetry system.

But anyhow...

Peter C. Lai wrote:
> At the moment it only brokers live data (hence livestatus), but it is
> intended to replace NDO as the general event broker. You can read from
> the socket and do whatever you want with the data...

Depends on the use case. If you want something that continuously spits
out data, and stores that elsewhere, without the need of initiating the
output, you'd better use IDO (compared to NDO it has ~35% performance
increase).
If you prefer to demand data by a client application (like a web ui
e.g.), livestatus fits best and performs better. You might use
livestatus as a data poller too, but that implies bidirectional
communication and can lead into performance issues and problems.

Regarding this situation, and basically the amount of data being
generated and reworked, I would consider that NASA chose Postgresql
wisely as RDBMS - maybe even the monitoring backend depends on unified
APIs for alerting and reporting and so on. It would be interesting how
many hosts/services will be monitored and how this relates to the check
rates.

Kind regards,
Michael

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email:     michael.friedrich@univie.ac.at
phone:     +43 1 4277 14359
fax:     +43 1 4277 14279
web:    http://www.univie.ac.at/zid

Icinga Core&  IDOUtils Developer
http://www.icinga.org

От: "Peter C. Lai"
Сообщение: Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
От: "Igor Neyman"
Сообщение: Re: Create table if not exists ... how ??