От: Jesper Krogh
Тема: Re: Write performance
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Write performance  (Janning, )
 Re: Write performance  (Kenneth Marshall, )
  Re: Write performance  (Janning, )
 Re: Write performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
  Re: Write performance  (Janning, )
   Re: Write performance  (Janning Vygen, )
    Re: Write performance  (Jesper Krogh, )
   Re: Write performance  (Scott Carey, )
 Re: Write performance  (Greg Smith, )

On 2010-06-24 15:45, Janning Vygen wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2010 15:16:05 Janning wrote:

>>> For each drive, you will be able to read/write approximately 8kB /
>>> 0.0085s, giving 941kB per second. If you have multiple processes all
>>> doing random access, then you may be able to utilise both discs and get
>>> double that.
>>>
>> So with your calculation I have a maximum of 2MB/s random access. So i
>> really need to upgrade my disk configuration!
>>
> i was looking at tomshardware.com and the fastest disk is
>
>     Maxtor Atlas 15K II * 8K147S0,SAS,147 GB, 16 MB Cache,15000 rpm
>
> with 5.5 ms random access time.
>
> So even if i switch to those disks i can only reach a perfomace gain of 1.5,
> right?
>
> To achieve a better disk performance by factor of ten, i need a raid-10 setup
> with 12 disks (so i have 6 raid-1 bundles). Or are there other factors with
> high end disks?

Well. On the write-side, you can add in a Raid controller with Battery
backed
write cache to not make the writes directly hit disk. This improves
the amount of writing you can do.

On the read-side you can add more memory to your server so a significant
part of your most active dataset is cached in memory.

It depends on the actual sizes and workload what gives the most benefit
for you.

--
Jesper