Re: db recovery after raid5 failure

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: db recovery after raid5 failure
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Balkrishna Sharma  wrote:

>> average about two drive failures a month

> You must be having a real huge postgres setup with several hundreds
> of drives to have such high frequency of failure.

About 100 database servers with over 1000 drives spinning 24/7.  Also
probably significant, management-set policy is to replace machines
after four years, and we don't always hit that.  I haven't tried to
run numbers on it, but the pattern sure seems to match published
reports that we have some initial failures within the first few
months when a set of machines go in, it settles down for about three
years, then the failure rate starts to edge inexorably upward.

>> As a place to put "one more copy" it might make sense, as long as
>> it had strong encryption.

> I didn't expand but that's what I meant. The copy in cloud to be
> your final resort incase the LAN and the WAN copy both fail. You
> get an extra copy in a different geographic location for some
> catastrophic event.

OK, that makes sense.

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Unable to start Statistics Collector
Сообщение: Re: Unable to start Statistics Collector