Re: Inserting additional data into pg_statistics

От Teodor Macicas
Тема Re: Inserting additional data into pg_statistics
Дата
Re: Inserting additional data into pg_statistics  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
---

Hi Tom,
    Modifying the pg_statistics is not a good idea for most practical purposes. The modification, however, becomes a
necessityto implement automatic physical design techniques. We are developing an automatic physical designer for
Postgres.The designer will add features that most commercial systems provide right now, such as automatically selecting
indexesfor queries. My colleagues recently demonstrated a prototype version of the system at SIGMOD, and the demo
descriptioncan be found at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ddash/parinda-sigmod.pdf

    We want to extend the system by doing the physical design outside the production database, and hence need to
replicatethe pg_statistics of the production database in another standing database. This is the reason, we would like
tomove the pg_statistics across the database, and both direct sql/pg_dump-restore mechanisms fail us.

-Dash Debabrata