Re: Inserting additional data into pg_statistics

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inserting additional data into pg_statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Teodor Macicas <teodor.macicas@epfl.ch> writes:
>     Modifying the pg_statistics is not a good idea for most
> practical purposes.

That's what I've been telling you.

>     We want to extend the system by doing the physical design
> outside the production database, and hence need to replicate the
> pg_statistics of the production database in another standing database.

Well, leaving aside the question of whether that's actually anywhere
near useful enough to justify the work, I'd *still* not support putting
the information into the second database's pg_statistic.  pg_statistic
should contain the truth for that database's own tables.  Seems like
what you need here is a second table along the lines of
pg_hypothetical_statistic, and then your planner hacks can include the
knowledge to look there instead of pg_statistic when doing hypothetical
planning.

Not that that's going to solve your immediate problem: there just isn't
any way at the SQL level to insert data into pg_statistic's anyarray
columns.  You're going to need some specialized C function that inserts
the data, hopefully only after validating that the actual array type
matches the column that the stats are alleged to be for.