Re: A thought about other open source projects

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: A thought about other open source projects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
database agnostic code is theoretically a great idea. However, you lose
most of the advantages of the chosen database engine. For example, if
you support an engine that does not support relational integrity you
cannot use delete cascades.
The most efficient way is to have a separate backend module per database
(or db version) supported. The quickest way is to write code that will
work on any db but won't take advantage of db-specific features.

On 6/20/2010 12:08 PM, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Sunday 20 June 2010, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> On lör, 2010-06-19 at 22:56 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
>>
>>> These projects need help to realise that adding Postgresql is not a
>>> big
>>> job, especially for those using JDBC which can already connect to all
>>> DBs.  It strikes me that if the project could write a few pages
>>> gleaned
>>> from other porting operations, then whenever a project like this is
>>> found
>>> they can be pointed to these pages and shown how easy it is to do.
>>>

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreS
>
>> QL
>>

> Excellent, I had not realised this existed.  I will point any projects I meet
> which have not found Postrgesql goodness at this page.  Thank you.
>
>  I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database agnostic
> code" guide?  That way its not a matter of porting, more a matter of
> starting off right.
>
> David

Сообщение: Re: A thought about other open source projects
Сообщение: Re: A thought about other open source projects