Dell Poweredge server and Postgres

От u235sentinel
Тема Dell Poweredge server and Postgres
Дата
Re: Dell Poweredge server and Postgres  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Dell Poweredge server and Postgres  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I'm curious if anyone has had any experiences (good and bad) using
Postgres on Dell PowerEdge servers.

My manager and I are looking at replacing a Sun x4540 server with a Dell
server connected to a disk subsystem (or two).  We're looking at the
R710 servers connected to an MD1220 I believe (I'd have to look again at
the quote).

The concern we have is our 4540 has a 2TB database which is working
great.  The server has 48 hard drives (250 gig drives) in RAID 10 across
6 disk controllers.  A couple HBA controllers connected to a couple
dozen disks may be slower (though dell assures us it will be faster than
our Sun box).

I thought I'd toss this out and see if anyone has any thoughts on this.
I'm inclined to try it.  The drives quoted are 15k drives and the PERC
controller has cache vs. the Sun controllers have no cache AFAIK.

BTW, in the next few months I believe we're be hitting the 2.5-3 TB size
for our database.  The tables are partitioned which helps a lot.
Performance would be a problem otherwise with that much data I think :-)

Thanks!