Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t

От Tom Wilcox
Тема Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t
Дата
Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t  (Bob Lunney <bob_lunney@yahoo.com>)
Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t  (Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have had this error whilst trying to
configure my 32-bit build of postgres to run on a 64-bit Windows Server
2008 machine with 96GB of RAM (that I would very much like to use with
postgres).

I am getting:

2010-06-02 11:34:09 BSTFATAL:  requested shared memory size overflows size_t
2010-06-02 11:41:01 BSTFATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: 8
2010-06-02 11:41:01 BSTDETAIL:  Failed system call was MapViewOfFileEx.

which makes a lot of sense since I was setting shared_buffers (and
effective_cache_size) to values like 60GB..

Is it possible to get postgres to make use of the available 96GB RAM on
a Windows 32-bit build? Otherwise, how can I get it to work?

Im guessing my options are:

- Use the 64-bit Linux build (Not a viable option for me - unless from a
VM - in which case recommendations?)
or
- Configure Windows and postgres properly (Preferred option - but I
don't know what needs to be done here or if Im testing properly using
Resource Monitor)

Thanks,
Tom