Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michal Szymanski wrote:
> Currently we use Debian, but it chosen by our OS admnistrator. Now we
> can change our OS and it is question what Linux edition will be the
> best. We would like have access to new versions of Postgres as soon
> as  possible, for Debian sometimes we had to wait many weeks for
> official packages.

Yes, Debian QA can take a couple of weeks for things to reach you after
release.  From some perspectives that's considered a good thing.  If the
update is to fix a security bug, it's possible that's a problem
instead.  In that rare case, you can always learn to build your own
packages.

Ultimately, if your true priority is "access to new versions of Postgres
as soon as possible", you can do that on any Linux distribution by
building from source and potentially packaging the result up as if it
were a standard packages.  That should be way, way down on the list of
things that factor into what version of Linux you deploy though.  If
you've got support from your administration team using Debian, I think
you'd be crazy to switch to another OS just to speed up getting newer
versions of PostgreSQL.  Put a little time into learning how to build
your own packages instead, to work around this one perceived flaw, and
you'll be way ahead of the mess that comes with switching distributions
altogether.