Re: "1-Click" installer problems

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/04/2010 5:35 PM, Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:

> It is not the count that matters. It is the quality. Even after giving
> logs, your folks are unable to figure out the problem. I am facing the
> same problem that was faced by a lot of users on the forum and not one
> was resolved successfully. Otherwise I would've moved ahead on my own. I
> am interested in fixing the installer. I am not interested in manual
> steps to get it working on my PC because there are a hundred other PCs
> that I have to worry about and a fix in the installer would be right
> step ahead. But someone has to admit that there is a problem in the
> installer. All arguments in this thread are junk because 8.3 installer
> for win32 from postgresql.org WORKS using the same conditions on
> Vista/2003/7 everywhere. It is nothing to do with APPDATA or any such
> thing.

> Something that worked was broken, it's that simple. And nobody
> wants to know what was.

Actually, we all want to know what it was. But you're not helping us
find out - see Sachin's request that you run the initcluster.vbs script
to collect some debug info.

One thing you need to understand is that nothing has been "broken".
Here's how it was:

       MSI INSTALLER                ONECLICK INSTALLER
8.3    [available]                   [available]
8.4   [discontinued]                 [available]

The MSI installer is *completely* *different*. It's not like Pg switched
over. The .msi installer was dropped because it was silly to duplicate
work that EDB was going to do anyway.

You perceive something as having been broken, but in fact you're using a
_different_ _product_ now. It's not working for you, and that is
something that needs addressing, but it's not like there was some change
that can just be reverted.

Now, clearly there's something _different_ about your machines that
makes the EDB installer fail on them, and not most systems. Let's try to
figure out what it is.

> The reason I posted this in the general newsgroup is because I thought
> others would like to know what's going on. But I think this is a
> newsgroup with a bunch of inflated egos who want to do everything else
> rather than address the problem.

You're rather selectively ignoring the people who're asking you for more
details, and trying to explain that since it works for them, they need
to figure out what makes your setup different in order to fix the problem.

Nobody's claiming the EDB installer is perfect anyway. They're just
pointing out that "doesn't work for you" isn't the same as "doesn't work
for anyone, broken and awful".

--
Craig Ringer

Сообщение: Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Сообщение: Re: "1-Click" installer problems