Re: Proposal: Add JSON support

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Proposal: Add JSON support
Дата
Re: Proposal: Add JSON support  (Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Joseph Adams
> <joeyadams3.14159@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering whether the internal representation of JSON should be
>> plain JSON text, or some binary code that's easier to traverse and
>> whatnot.  For the sake of code size, just keeping it in text is
>> probably best.
>>

> +1 for text.

Agreed.

>> Now my thoughts and opinions on the JSON parsing/unparsing itself:
>>
>> It should be built-in, rather than relying on an external library
>> (like XML does).
>>

> Why?  I'm not saying you aren't right, but you need to make an
> argument rather than an assertion.  This is a community, so no one is
> entitled to decide anything unilaterally, and people want to be
> convinced - including me.

Yeah, why? We should not be in the business of reinventing the wheel
(and then maintaining the reinvented wheel), unless the code in question
is *really* small.

>> As far as character encodings, I'd rather keep that out of the JSON
>> parsing/serializing code itself and assume UTF-8.  Wherever I'm wrong,
>> I'll just throw encode/decode/validate operations at it.
>>

> I think you need to assume that the encoding will be the server
> encoding, not UTF-8.  Although others on this list are better
> qualified to speak to that than I am.

The trouble is that JSON is defined to be specifically Unicode, and in
practice for us that means UTF8 on the server side.  It could get a bit
hairy, and it's definitely not something I think you can wave away with
a simple "I'll just throw some encoding/decoding function calls at it."

cheers

andrew