Re: Proposal: Add JSON support

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Proposal: Add JSON support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I think you need to assume that the encoding will be the server
>> encoding, not UTF-8.  Although others on this list are better
>> qualified to speak to that than I am.

> The trouble is that JSON is defined to be specifically Unicode, and in
> practice for us that means UTF8 on the server side.  It could get a bit
> hairy, and it's definitely not something I think you can wave away with
> a simple "I'll just throw some encoding/decoding function calls at it."

It's just text, no?  Are there any operations where this actually makes
a difference?

Like Robert, I'm *very* wary of trying to introduce any text storage
into the backend that is in an encoding different from server_encoding.
Even the best-case scenarios for that will involve multiple new places for
encoding conversion failures to happen.