Re: Database size growing over time and leads to performance impact

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Database size growing over time and leads to performance impact
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Le 27/03/2010 14:00, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> [...]
> We're using PostgreSQL 8.2.  Recently, in our production database, there was
> a severe performance impact..  Even though, we're regularly doing both:
>
> 1.     VACUUM FULL ANALYZE once in a week during low-usage time and
>
> 2.     ANALYZE everyday at low-usage time

Which means you can be sure you have bloated indexes.

> Also, we noticed that the physical database size has grown upto 30 GB.  But,
> if I dump the database in the form of SQL and import it locally in my
> machine, it was only 3.2 GB.  Then while searching in Google to optimize
> database size, I found the following useful link:
>
> http://www.linuxinsight.com/optimize_postgresql_database_size.html
>
> It says that even vacuumdb or reindexdb doesn't really compact database
> size, only dump/restore does because of MVCC architecture feature in
> PostgreSQL and this has been proven here.

VACUUM doesn't compact a database. VACUUM FULL does for tables. REINDEX
does for index.

And this is why, I think, you have an issue. You do VACUUM FULL each
week, but don't do a REINDEX.

> So, finally we decided to took our production database offline and performed
> dump/restore.  After this, the physical database size has also reduced from
> 30 GB to 3.5 GB and the performance was also very good than it was before.

Not surprising, indexes are recreated.

> Physical database size was found using the following command:
>
> du -sh /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/<database-oid>
>
> I also cross-checked this size using
> "pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size(datname))".
>
> Questions
>
> 1.     Is there any version/update of PostgreSQL addressing this issue?

If you still want to use VACUUM FULL, then you need to use REINDEX. But
you shouldn't need VACUUM FULL. Configure autovacuum so that your tables
don't get bloated.

> 2.     How in real time, this issues are handled by other PostgreSQL users
> without taking to downtime?

Using the autovacuum to VACUUM and ANALYZE when it's really needed.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org