Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Дата
Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions  (Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> So has anyone looked at porting MythTV to PG?

Periodically someone hacks together something that works, last big
effort I'm aware of was in 2006, and then it bit rots away.  I'm sure
we'd get some user uptake on the result--MySQL corruption is one of the
top ten cause of a MythTV system crashing.  The developers are so
resistant to database-neutral design that you'd need quite the thick
skin to try and get something into their mainline though, which means
someone who tried adding PostgreSQL support would likely have to run a
parallel branch for some time, expecting regular breakage.  The only
thing on their radar as far as I know is SQLite.

There was a good overview circa 2004 at
http://david.hardeman.nu/files/patches/mythtv/mythletter.txt , haven't
done a deep dive into the code recently enough to comment on exactly
what has changed since then.  That gives a flavor for the fundamentals
of the design issues though.