Re: Searching a DB index.. possible?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Searching a DB index.. possible?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/02/10 15:48, Moe wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how I can introduce full text search "tips"...
> tips meaning, like if you start typing Mer ..
> then a box with a couple of words underneath comes up, with *Mercedes,
> Mercury *and so on :P
>
> I am thinking that the word suggestions needs to come from the already
> existing tsearch2 index.
> Words that are frequent in the index could be ranked higher as a search tip.

This could get expensive if you have a large index. You might want to
summarize down to a separate (word,frequency) table. Particularly if you
don't want stemming to interfere with your suggestions.

See the manuals (full text search) for details on prefix searches -
introduced in 8.4 if you really want to go the tsearch route.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd