Re: Minimizing disk space

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Minimizing disk space
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/01/2010 11:27 PM, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Heyho!
>
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 18.26:05 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> With this in mind: what can we tune to minimize diskspace (RAM-disk
>>> space) usage?
>
> [thanks to all for your input!]
>
>> Wow, here are some things but honestly Pg may not be the DB you are
>> looking for.
>
> Well, parts of the code are shared with a server side component, which we
> already ported from Oracle to pg, so licensing costs aside we were hoping
> avoid having to maintain yet another different type of db backend (build up
> know how, ...)
>
> But if using pg won't work, I guess sqlite (or Ingres, which I haven't
> worked with before) would be an alternative.  Although, for example with
> SQLite, I'd have to check carefully if we don't need more features than it
> has ...

Firebird is also designed for embedded use.

Pg will work - it just might not be as convenient and easy to use in
that environment. If you're using Pg elsewhere, then it's going to be a
trade-off between the cost of supporting another DB and the work
required to make Pg do what you want.

--
Craig Ringer