Re: unresolved bugs

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: unresolved bugs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Agreed.  I really don't think a bug tracker helps us.  We need two things:
>>
>> (1) to respond to bug submissions immediately and fix them, and
>> (2) if we can't fix the bugs immediately, to add them to a TODO list
>>
>> Adding stuff to a bug tracker is just a way to procrastinate on it
>> indefinitely.
>>

> It's up to us what issues we want to track in what system. It's
> perfectly acceptable to say any todo items are tracked outside in the
> TODO wiki page. And incidentally I agree with you.
>
> But we also have the open items list that Bruce (sorry I should have
> credited you before) and Tom and now apparently Robert track. These
> issues are usually tracked for the current development tree because
> we're more willing to leave these pending in the development tree but
> they also come up for point releases. Sometimes we're not sure what
> the right fix is right away or we're waiting on some research or
> debugging work but they have to be taken care of for the next release
> or declared non-bugs or not worth fixing. They shouldn't just be
> forgotten about.
>
> So far we've done a good job but it would be more credible for people
> not following the lists if we could point them at the current list at
> any time and see what kind of known issues we have and what happens to
> issues they report.

I think the commitfest app has actually given us a handle on how we
could use a tracker. (Kudos to Robert for that app, btw). People feared
that it would become an alternative to the mailing list(s), but it
hasn't in practice. people have expressed the same fear abotu a tracker,
but presumably we could use a tracker in a similar fashion.

It really would be nice for users to be able to search for bugs, and see
where/when_ot_if/how they got resolved, without having to seach mailing
list archives.

Stefan did some terrific work a couple of years ago to marry up bugzilla
to the -bugs mailing list and web forms, before we ran out of steam.

cheers

andrew