Re: SSD + RAID

От Laszlo Nagy
Тема Re: SSD + RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>
>>    * I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
>>      option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
>>      then it would still not have redundancy.
>>

> At 32GB database size, I'd seriously consider just buying a server with
> a regular hard drive or a small RAID array for redundancy, and stuffing
> 16 or 32 GB of RAM into it to ensure everything is cached. That's tried
> and tested technology.

32GB is for one table only. This server runs other applications, and you
need to leave space for sort memory, shared buffers etc. Buying 128GB
memory would solve the problem, maybe... but it is too expensive. And it
is not safe. Power out -> data loss.
> I don't know how you came to the 32 GB figure, but keep in mind that
> administration is a lot easier if you have plenty of extra disk space
> for things like backups, dumps+restore, temporary files, upgrades etc.

This disk space would be dedicated for a smaller tablespace, holding one
or two bigger tables with index scans. Of course I would never use an
SSD disk for storing database backups. It would be waste of money.

От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: FTS performance with the Polish config
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: SSD + RAID