Re: SSD + RAID

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: SSD + RAID
Дата
Re: SSD + RAID  (Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>    * I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
>      option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
>      then it would still not have redundancy.

At 32GB database size, I'd seriously consider just buying a server with
a regular hard drive or a small RAID array for redundancy, and stuffing
16 or 32 GB of RAM into it to ensure everything is cached. That's tried
and tested technology.

I don't know how you came to the 32 GB figure, but keep in mind that
administration is a lot easier if you have plenty of extra disk space
for things like backups, dumps+restore, temporary files, upgrades etc.
So if you think you'd need 32 GB of disk space, I'm guessing that 16 GB
of RAM would be enough to hold all the hot data in cache. And if you
choose a server with enough DIMM slots, you can expand easily if needed.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not really an expert on hardware..

--
  Heikki Linnakangas