Re: limiting performance impact of wal archiving.

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: limiting performance impact of wal archiving.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:
>> Using ext2 means that you're still exposed to fsck errors on boot after
>> a crash, which doesn't lose anything but you have to go out of your way
>> to verify you're not going to get stuck with your server down in that
>> case.
> fsck on a filesystem with 1 folder and <checkpoint_segments> files is very
> very fast.  Even if using WAL archiving, there won't be many
> files/directories to check.  Fsck is not an issue if the partition is
> exclusively for WAL.  You can even mount it direct, and avoid having the OS
> cache those pages if you are using a caching raid controller
Right; that sort of thing--switching to a more direct mount, making sure
fsck is setup to run automatically rather than dropping to a menu--is
what I was alluding to when I said you had to go out of your way to make
that work.  It's not complicated, really, but by the time you've set
everything up and done the proper testing to confirm it all worked as
expected you've just spent a modest chunk of time.  All I was trying to
suggest is that there is a cost and some complexity, and that I feel
there's no reason to justify that unless you're not bottlenecked
specifically at WAL write volume.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

От: Robert Schnabel
Сообщение: Re: Adaptec Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection - Anyone using?
От: Scott Carey
Сообщение: Re: limiting performance impact of wal archiving.