Re: How to size a log file partition

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: How to size a log file partition
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Thorne, Francis" <thornef@cromwell.co.uk> wrote:

> I plan to place the database files on one RAID 10 partition and the
> logs on another partition either RAID 10 or RAID 1.  At the moment
> though I'm struggling to size the partition of the log file.  Is
> there a recommendation to how I could go about sizing this
> partition?

It sounds to me like you're talking about the Write Ahead Log (WAL)
files, right?  If so, on this page:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/wal-configuration.html

The docs say:

"There will always be at least one WAL segment file, and will normally
not be more than (2 + checkpoint_completion_target) *
checkpoint_segments + 1 files. Each segment file is normally 16 MB
(though this size can be altered when building the server). You can
use this to estimate space requirements for WAL."

-Kevin