Re: How to size a log file partition

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: How to size a log file partition
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thorne, Francis wrote:
> Just after a little bit of advice, I will be setting up a new database
> server that will be running a database around the 200GB size.  To make
> sure that I get the best performance I plan to place the database files
> on one RAID 10 partition and the logs on another partition either RAID
> 10 or RAID 1.  At the moment though I'm struggling to size the partition
> of the log file.  Is there a recommendation to how I could go about
> sizing this partition ?
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Formatting and partitioning disks rather depends on what OS you have,
and is better suited to support channels for your OS.

If however you are talking about having postgresql rotate it's log files
when it reaches a certain size then you should look in your
postgresql.conf which you can find in your data dir.

If you are using stderr as log output then log_rotation_size = 10MB  is
the default setting. There are other logging option as well that you may
want to tweek.

If you are using pgadmin then you can adjust this through the server
configuration settings.

If on the other hand you are using another option like syslog for log
output then you need to look into other options for log file rotation.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz