Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...

От Ben Chobot
Тема Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
InterRob wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am trying to implement the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> All suggestions are very much appreciated,
> regards,
>

> Rob

It's not clear to me what you're asking, but I suspect the suggestion
you need is the same as if you had asked how to best implement an
Entity-Attribute-Value scheme: don't do it. Why it may be possible,
performance is going to go into the toilet, constraints are going to be
difficult to enforce, and maintenance will be difficult at best.
Spending the effort upfront to define a schema will have drastic
long-term payoffs. It can be tempting to believe an application can
define the appropriate schema for itself at runtime if you just give it
a big enough sandbox, but this rarely works out well.