Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 06:28:28PM +0200, InterRob wrote:
> I am trying to implement the following:
>
> In a database I wish to implement a GENERIC datamodel, thus on a meta-level.

Sounds like you're describing an EAV design:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-attribute-value_model

Designs like this tend to result in you getting very little support
from the database and get awkward as they grow.  If your problem really
is suited to this then go for it, but surprisingly few actually are.
I'd highly recommend using a more traditional design until you've been
through at least one big revision and then you'll know whether EAV
really fits.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/