Re: Current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL?

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Nathan Widmyer wrote:
> I just plan on storing already-made XML in a column, then be able to
> search on it using where clauses with XPath expressions (e.g. select
> tv_show,xpath('/station/times', xml_data) from table_with_xml where
> xpath('/name', xml_data)='Captain Kangaroo').  I do understand there
> is an xpath() function to return data, so that's solved for.

why would you store data thats wrapped in two copies of its fieldname
along with other punctuation?    wouldn't it make more sense to
decompose your XML source into proper tables so proper indexes and
relational sql queries can be made?     otherwise, every query turns
into a massive sequential scan and parsing operation.