Re: changing enumlabel from a NameData to text

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: changing enumlabel from a NameData to text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Mike Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the postgresql codebase, working on a patch to 8.3.7 to
> allow enums to accept variable length values for David Andersen (see
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-07/msg00226.php
> for more details). The code I wrote compiles, but breaks in a few
> places. For example I segfault when I try to insert enumlabels with
> less than 126 bytes. My guess is that I am not understanding the new
> varvarlena stuff in 8.3, wondering if someone could point me to an
> explanation of how it works?

Hmm. Are you aware of enumkit, the precursor to built-in enums? That
should still work for 8.3 (and if it doesn't, I'll make sure it's
fixed.) and there should be no limit on label length. Maybe that would
work for you without any patching of 8.3 required. The downside is that
it has to be compiled and installed for each set of enum labels, but you
don't have to write any code.

see <http://pgfoundry.org/projects/enumkit/>

cheers

andrew