Re: Replication

От Gerry Reno
Тема Re: Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> We need something as good as MySQL Replication.
>
> I certainly hope not, I was hoping for a reliable replication solution
> instead. Wow is the information you get searching for something like
> "mysql replication corruption [replay log|bin log]" scary. I also
> appreciate fun bits like how you'll get completely quiet master/slave
> mismatches if you should do something crazy like, say, use LIMIT the
> wrong way (see
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-features.html for
> more fun like that).

I didn't mean to imply that MySQL Replication was perfect. But I've been
using it for over three years with very few problems. And yes with
statement-based replication you can get some interesting replication
anomalies if you're not careful. But, that's true of any statement-based
replication with any database.

> Anyway, you seem to be unaware that built-in replication for
> PostgreSQL already is moving along, with an implementation that's just
> not quite production quality yet, and might make into the next version
> after 8.4 if things go well.
No, I'm aware of this basic builtin replication. It was rather
disappointing to see it moved out of the 8.4 release. We need something
more that just basic master-slave replication which is all this simple
builtin replication will provide. We need a real replication solution
that can handle statement-based and row-based replication. Multi-master
replication. Full cyclic replication chain setups. Simple master-slave
just doesn't cut it.

> That's probably why it's not on the survey--everybody knows that's
> important and it's already being worked on actively.
Ok, I just felt it should still be there. But, I hope development
understands just how important good replication really is.

> P.S. another Google search, this one for "postgresql replication
> support", finds the mythical company that sells multiple products and
> support for this purpose on hit #2 for me. Or you could use the
> alternate approach of looking at the jobs of the everyone who's been
> giving your a hard time in this thread...
I figured as much.

> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Regards,
Gerry

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: postgresql-8.3.7 unexpected connection closures
От: Steve Crawford
Сообщение: Re: Hourly dates