Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?

От Yaroslav Tykhiy
Тема Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?
Дата
Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
Список pgsql-general
DimitryASuplatov wrote:

> My task is to store a lot (10^5) of small ( <10 MB) text files in the
> database with the ability to restore them back to the hard drive on
> demand.

I cannot but ask the community a related question here: Can such
design, that is, storing quite large objects of varying size in a
PostgreSQL database, be a good idea in the first place?  I used to
believe that what RDBMS were really good at was storing a huge number
of relations, each of a small and mostly uniform size if expressed in
bytes; but today people tend to put big things, e.g., email or files,
in relational databases because it's convenient to them.  That's
absolutely normal as typical data objects we have to deal with keep
growing in size, but how well can databases stand the pressure?  And
can't it still be better to store large things as plain files and put
just their names in the database?  File systems were designed for such
kind of job after all, unlike RDBMS.

Thanks!

Yar