Re: warm standby with WAL shipping

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: warm standby with WAL shipping
Дата
Re: warm standby with WAL shipping  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 14:43 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>>
>>> pg_standby is in no way dependent on PITRTools.  PITRTools is, however,
>>> dependent on pg_standby.  Put another way:  you do not need to use
>>> PITRTools to use pg_standby.  In fact, you also don't need any perl or
>>> shell scripts to use pg_standby, just use rsync directly in the
>>> archive_command on the master and pg_standby in the recovery_command on
>>> the standby.  The wiki link Greg provided
>>> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Warm_Standby) has all of the info
>>> needed to set things up manually.
>> Our current scenario is that we are archiving from machine A to machine
>> B.  Our hot spare is machine C, thus we are pulling the files via
>> network from machine B to machine C, hence the reason I don't believe
>> db_standby will work as it has no facility (rsync,scp) to retrieve the
>> files from another machine.
>
> The point that is being made is that pg_standby doesn't need pitrtools
> to do its job. That is all. It is also why I said that pg_standby is
> just a component of a PITR solution and not a PITR Solution in itself.

I understand his point very clearly.

> You are still going to need to either:
>
> A. Reinvent the wheel, by scripting it all yourself
> B. Use solutions that are already used by others such as walmgr or
> pitrtools

My assumption was that since pg_standby does not have the scp/rsync
functionality, I would have to either modify it, change the way we do
things, or 'reinvent' a little different wheel.

There is also an objection to using the python tools as we are small
shop and do not have anyone who is versed in python.

I have not had a chance to look at walmgr, I will do that shortly.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?