Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages

От Reid Thompson
Тема Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Keith D. Evans wrote:
> We usually run postgresql on a private machine (gravity) but due to
> space, we have moved the database to a different machine through afs (a
> local network at the university). We do not want the private machine to
> be accessible to outside users, so our web pages are on the university's
> public web pages. They have mysql, but won't install postgresql, which
> we've been using on gravity for years.
>
> We want to add a database where users can get and plot data using php
> over the internet. But since the public computers don't have postgresql,
> can we have postgresql running on gravity allowing users accessing
> through the internet on the public pages to access the data?
>
> thanx,
> keith

gravity = postgresql host = private
webpages = university web server = public

so, user accesses webpage on university web server, the webpage ( webapp )
has/or creates a connection to the postgresql server on gravity --> yes, user
can access webpage on public server and pull data from postgresql server on
private server ( as long as postgresql is configured to accept the connection
from the webserver and network connectivity exists between public and private
server )

Does this answer what you are asking?