Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages

От Keith D. Evans
Тема Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages
Дата
Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages  (Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com>)
Список pgsql-general
We usually run postgresql on a private machine (gravity) but due to
space, we have moved the database to a different machine through afs (a
local network at the university). We do not want the private machine to
be accessible to outside users, so our web pages are on the university's
public web pages. They have mysql, but won't install postgresql, which
we've been using on gravity for years.

We want to add a database where users can get and plot data using php
over the internet. But since the public computers don't have postgresql,
can we have postgresql running on gravity allowing users accessing
through the internet on the public pages to access the data?

thanx,
keith

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 21/05/2009 18:49, Keith D. Evans wrote:
>

>> The database is on a public machine (Linux), but the postgresql
>> postmaster runs on a private machine (Solaris 10).
>>

> That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you've got *two* postmasters
> running, one on each machine, or maybe you've created a tablespace over
> NFS or some such.
>
> Can you explain more clearly what you mean by the above?
>

> Ray.

> Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie
> Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals

"Nonviolence is not a cover for cowardice, but it is the supreme virtue of the brave."  Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Keith D. Evans
Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology/UMBC
(301) 614-6282 (M,Tu)
(410) 455-5751 (W,Th,F)
http://www.jcet.umbc.edu/bios/evanmain.html

Any opinions expressed in this email are not those of
NASA, or the Goddard Space Flight Center, or the Joint
Center for Earth Systems Technology or the University
of Maryland Baltimore County.

Сообщение: Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages
Сообщение: Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages