Re: Help me to solve this problem!

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Help me to solve this problem!
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
sam rab wrote:
> Great day to you!
> I tried to install postgresql  8.3.7 on Linux RedHat 7.2 platform.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but ... why?

Red Hat 7.2 is *ANCIENT*. There haven't been security updates since
nigh-unto-forever. It's using C libraries with a completely different
threading model to modern Linuxes, it has an ancient kernel, and it's
generally scary.

Since the database server doesn't even need to live on the same hardware
as the rest of the application, why not just provide a modern machine
for the DB server?

If you're just trying to build the client libraries that makes more
sense - maybe you're stuck with an ancient server thanks to some
braindead binary-only library that chokes on a newer system, for example.

> Process of "configure" ends normally,
> process of "gmake" ends with this output of errors:
> {
> gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/home/install/postgresql-8.3.7/src/interfaces/
> libpq'
> gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -fno-strict-aliasing
>   -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libpq.so.5 -Wl,--version-script=exports.list  fe-aut
> h.o fe-connect.o fe-exec.o fe-misc.o fe-print.o fe-lobj.o fe-protocol2.o fe-prot
> ocol3.o pqexpbuffer.o pqsignal.o fe-secure.o md5.o ip.o wchar.o encnames.o noblo
> ck.o pgstrcasecmp.o thread.o strlcpy.o  -L../../../src/port -lcrypt -Wl,-rpath,'
> /usr/home/pgsql/lib' -o libpq.so.5.1
> /usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script

Your toolchain is just TOO OLD. You probably need a newer gcc and
binutils. Maybe it's possible to make it all go, but I wouldn't bother
unless really forced.

Maybe rather than upgrading gcc and binutils you might be able to modify
the configure script and/or makefile to work around it. I wouldn't be
too sure how; I'd need to dig into what was happening and probably have
an old box on hand.

--
Craig Ringer