Re: cross column correlation revisted

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: cross column correlation revisted
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> writes:
>> >=20
>> it says X and Y ...  the selectivity of joins are what i am most
>> interested in. cross correlation of columns within the same table are
>> just a byproduct.  the core thing is: how can i estimate the number
>> of rows returned from a join?
>
> All the discussion of this topic that I've seen has been limited to the s=
ingle
> table case. The hard problem in that case is coming up with something you=
can
> precalculate that will actually be useful during query planning, without
> taking too much disk, memory, CPU, or something else. Expanding the discu=
ssion
> to include join relations certainly still has valid use cases, but is even
> harder, because you've also got to keep track of precisely how the underl=
ying
> relations are joined, so you know in what context the statistics remain v=
alid.

Well I've been proposing to handle the correlation problem in another
way in some past mails here, and I've been trying to write it down too:
 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-06/msg00118.php http://tapoueh.org/char10.html#sec13

What I propose is to extend ANALYZE to be able to work on a VIEW too,
rather than just a table. The hard parts seems to be:

a. what stats to record, exploiting the view definition the best we can
b. how to match a user query against the view definitions we have in   order to actually use the stats

If you have answers or good ideas=C2=A0:)

Regards,
--=20
dim

--