Step by step and thorough pgadmin/postgresql documentation

От Gerhard Botha
Тема Step by step and thorough pgadmin/postgresql documentation
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
I downloaded postgresql and pgadmin and am setting up an experimental
database in our company.

I have a basic grasp on relational databases but now need a bullet proof
tutorial on setting up users and privileges as well as dealing with
autoincremental primary keys.

We have a Linux server with postgresql and I have set my PC up as a
windows client using both pgadmin iii and openoffice.

I can connect, create databases, create users with different privileges etc.

I consider myself a newbie.

I would like access to a full example of setting up a small database
with users having different rights and tables with  the full cycle of
not just creating things but actually putting values in and doing so
using pgadmin's dialogues and not just SQL statements if possible.

The available documentation I can find only shows things in isolation
but I have found many problems trying to actually do something useful.

For instance.
I create a db with one superuser as the owner and one user with only
select/update/insert/delete access.
I create a new schema with one table that has two columns. one column is
the primary key with serial data. the other is a text field.

On my installation, the regular user is denied access to this table.
I then log on as the super user and go to the table and click on the
privileges tab. Here, I find no sign of the users I have created. Only
"public". If I assign all rights to public, I can now connect as the
regular user and open the table using the "view data" option when
left-clicking the table. That gives me a window with the table's cells
displayed. Now this does not seem right, it is not described like this
in the documentation as far as I can see.

In the newly opened window, the key column is empty and the text column
also. I ought to be able to just edit information into the text field
and expect the db to auto add a number to the key field, but it does
not. It responds with some story about the user not having access to the
sequence function. I now go to that and grant public access to that. But
now I can not get the table to generate a primary key automatically. I
can only enter a value there myself. Despite the fact that the primary
key field is correctly defined etc according to the manual.

So I need a tutorial because right now I do not know if the installation
suffers from some weird problem or if I simply do not understand
postgresql and pgadmin.

Oh, and by the way, I also installed pgadmin on my machine as a local
host and experience exactly the same so I doubt that it is the installation.

To say the least, to a newbie, this is messy as hell. I have no problems
understanding the isolated bits in the manual but I find the whole a bit
nebulous when you try to actually do a real system.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Gerhard Botha
Marketing Director