Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 20:38 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> I think we should simply remove the signal handler for SIGQUIT from
>> pg_standby.
>
> If you do this, please make it release dependent so pg_standby behaves
> correctly for the release it is being used with.

Hmm, I don't think there's a way for pg_standby to know which version of
PostgreSQL is calling it. Assuming there is, how would you want it to
behave? If you want no change in behavior in old releases, can't we just
leave it unfixed in back-branches? In fact, it seems more useful to not
detect the server version, so that if you do want the new behavior, you
can use a 8.4 pg_standby against a 8.3 server.

In back-branches, I think we need to decide between fixing this, at the
risk of breaking someone's script that is using "killall -QUIT
pg_standby" or similar to trigger failover, and leaving it as it is
knowing that immediate shutdown doesn't work on a standby server. I'm
not sure which is best.