Re: 8.3.5 broken after power fail SOLVED

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: 8.3.5 broken after power fail SOLVED
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Naomi Walker wrote:
> Other than disaster tests, how would I know if I have an system that
> lies about fsync?

Well, the linux kernel tries to detect it on bootup and
will give messages like this:
  %dmesg | grep 'disabling barriers'
  JBD: barrier-based sync failed on md1 - disabling barriers
  JBD: barrier-based sync failed on hda3 - disabling barriers
when it detects certain types of unreliable fsync's. The command
  %hdparm -I /dev/hdf | grep FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
will give you clues if a hard drive itself even can support
a non-lying fsync when it's internal cache is enabled.

Sadly some filesystems (ext3) lie even above and beyond what
Linux does - by only using the write barriers correctly
when the inode itself is modified; not when the data is modified.
A test program here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-08/msg00159.php
can detect those cases where the kernel & drive don't lie
about fsync but ext3 lies in spite of them; with more background
info here:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/21373
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/646040

Elsewhere in the archives you can find programs that measure
how fast fsyncs happen - but on your hardware, and you can
try to see if those numbers approximately match how fast your
disks spin.  But then you still need to make sure the test
program used the same methods for syncing the drive that your
postgres configuration files are choosing.

I wonder if the only really safe way is to run a very
write intensive database script and pull and kill your
system in a number of ways, including yanking power to
the system; to disk arrays, etc and see if your database died.