Re: Which installation parts are backward compatible?

От Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Тема Re: Which installation parts are backward compatible?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
>>> If no such list exists yet, perhaps we can complete the above one, document
>>> it, and pass it on to the packagers.
>>>
>> Are you suggesting that if an user has 7.4 and install 8.3 then the package
>> will replace psql-7.4 with psql-8.3? It will confuse users more that help them
>> (psql --version ?) and we will have extra effort to maintain the compatibility
>> version list at each binary.
>
> psql is already compatible with old versions.  I don't think we should
> throw away that work by not maintaining it.

I think we shouldn't too. But I think newbie users will be confused when (s)he
doesn't find the exact binary version at her/his machine.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Which installation parts are backward compatible?
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: pg_restore --multi-thread