Re: Difference between Windows pgsql and Linux pgsql?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Difference between Windows pgsql and Linux pgsql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Russell Hltn wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a program called Exodus
> (http://solumslekt.org/forays/exodus.tgz).  It was built on a PHP,
> Apache, and Postgres running on Linux.  Since all these programs also
> have Windows versions, I decided to try and install it on Windows.
> (Go with what I know.)
>
> However, I ran into problems trying to run some of the commands to set
> things up.  Apparently the instructions were written in some kind of
> abbreviated format that my Windows Postgres wouldn't accept.  (Or
> maybe I'm putting it in the wrong place.)  I may be able to work
> around it, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm on a fool's errand and
> there's just too many differences between the Windows and Linux
> version to run.

The only differences I can think of between Windows and Linux versions
of PG are not in the database itself, but in the fact that Windows has
different character sets available compared to Linux.

If you want more detailed help you're probably going to have to show us
exactly what you're doing and what's not working.

Tip - take things step by step.

1. Did PG install correctly?
2. Can I access it via pgadmin / psql?
3. Did Apache install correctly? Can I see a test .html page?
4. Did PHP install correctly? Can I see a test .php page?

For #4 build a page containing "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" and it will show
you all the PHP settings.

If you're having trouble with any of this, I think EnterpriseDB do a
freely available installer that bundles all three together for you. It's
a full version of PostgreSQL, nothing is cut down or any of that
nonsense. Don't have a link, but should be easy enough to find.

If everything is installing and you can connect, come back and post the
first few steps and what errors you get.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd