Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Considering that default_with_oids went false in 8.1 (?), affected are
>> users who are reusing their dumps or postgresql.conf from 8.0 and below.

No, they have upgraded along the way. pg_dump carefully preserves the
with/without oids property of the tables it is dumping. And rightly so.
This has nothing to do with default_without_oids.

> Indeed.  If they have not bothered to remove oids from their tables up
> to now, what are the odds that they're going to bother in the future?
>
> IMHO, the only way they'd care is if we try to force them to care
> (ie by removing oids as a user option), which I'm against.  So I see
> no flag day here.  They'll still have oids and they still won't care.

I have clients I have not yet managed to ween off oids, because they
have legacy apps, sometimes third party apps, that rely on them. I don't
want to make it any harder to get them over the hurdle.

cheers

andrew