Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I have clients I have not yet managed to ween off oids, because they
> have legacy apps, sometimes third party apps, that rely on them. I don't
> want to make it any harder to get them over the hurdle.

Surely the major cost there is going to be fixing those apps; I think
focusing on whether SET WITHOUT OIDS is zero-cost is worrying about
entirely the wrong thing.

Also, if they are using the oids (and presumably relying on them to be
unique), the tables can't be as huge as all that --- they'd have to be
under a billion or so rows, else the 32-bit width of oids would have
forced a change a long time ago.  So even a rewriting form of SET WITHOUT
OIDS doesn't seem all that painful.  Compared to an app migration that's
still not happened after N years, I can't believe it's a problem.