Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

От Matt Burke
Тема Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Дата
Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Glyn Astill wrote:
>> Stupid question, but why do people bother with the Perc line of
>> cards if the LSI brand is better?  It seems the headache of trying
>> to get the Perc cards to perform is not worth any money saved.
>
> I think in most cases the dell cards actually cost more, people end
> up stuck with them because they come bundled with their servers -
> they find out too late that they've got a lemon.

That's what's been happening with me... The fact Dell prices can have a
fair bit of downward movement when you get the account manager on the
phone makes them especially attractive to the people controlling the
purse strings.

The biggest reason for me however is the lack of comparative reviews. I
struggled to get the LSI card to replace the PERC3 because all I had to
go on was qualitative mailing list/forum posts from strangers. The only
way I got it was to make the argument that other than trying the LSI,
we'd have no choice other than replacing the server+shelf+disks.

I want to see just how much better a high-end Areca/Adaptec controller
is, but I just don't think I can get approval for a £1000 card "because
some guy on the internet said the PERC sucks". Would that same person
say it sucked if it came in Areca packaging? Am I listening to the
advice of a professional, or a fanboy?

Сообщение: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Сообщение: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller