Re: Warm Standby - log shipping

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Warm Standby - log shipping
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>>> "Mark Steben" <msteben@autorevenue.com> wrote:
> What I'm hearing is that I have to perform a base backup on my master
in
> Mass. after recovery completes, send that over a secure network
> To Virginia, and lay it down there.

I'm not sure we're understanding each other.  I was suggesting that
you needed to make a new base backup in Mass. and send it to Virginia.
 Recovery doesn't start until you get that.  There is one way you
might avoid that, though -- if you saved a copy of the original base
backup and all WAL files since then you could start over and roll all
the way to current.

> Simple enough but the time to travel
> Over the network becomes an issue - 12 - 13 hours at best.

As already suggested, if you're not using rsync with a daemon, you
should look at that.  For us, at least, it typically cuts the copy
time by an order of magnitude.

If you have the room and follow the advice given in my previous post,
your warm standby should never come out of recovery mode.  You can
stop and start the server without that happening.  What I was
suggesting was that you periodically (daily?) you stop the warm
standby in Virginia, copy the data directory to another location,
restart the warm standby in recovery mode, then start up the copy of
the warm standby in recovery mode, take that out of recovery mode, and
use it for your reports.

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Warm Standby - log shipping
Сообщение: Re: Warm Standby - log shipping