Re: [noreply@postgresql.org: coder]

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: [noreply@postgresql.org: coder]
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> On Apr 3, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
>> wrote:

>>> The form itself is causing it.  Have a look at it:
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/account/comments/new/10/backup.html/
>>>
>>> it asks for my name, then my "short description", then "details".  OK,
>>> so my short description is that I'm a coder, and perhaps I don't want to
>>> enter a long description, so I click "save" --> surely the next page
>>> will ask for my comment, right?  (The form does indicate "please fill
>>> out this field" if I leave short desc empty, so by that point I'm
>>> probably annoyed that it's asking for so many personal details.  It's
>>> good that it doesn't *require* my whole bio!).
>>>
>>> I think there should a clear separation between the two fields on top
>>> and the two ones at the bottom.  Maybe just a line of text that says
>>> "Please enter your documentation comment below".
>
> Yeah, I tend to agree that this is something to do with the form and not
> a spam probe or similar- that recent one of a one-word doc email and
> then a fully-formed email with good content is a great example of how
> the form is confusing in that regard.

We may have updated this in the site refresh.
Will take a look and get back on that.

>> Not entirely correct. In this example, "student" was written under
>> "details". And "coder" under short description.
>>
>> But yes, those fields are clearly badly named. How about we just name them
>> "subject" and "comment"?
>
> Or Subject and Body?  Or  Subject and Email?

Or add a few words like “Please explain why you are commenting on this page”

> The other thing I was thinking about would be to change the 'Save'
> button to read something like "Send Email" or "Submit Report" or
> something that makes it clearer that clicking the button is going to
> actually send an email without any further ado.

I think “Send Email” is even more enticing for
spamming.  Perhaps text explaining what happens once the comment is submitted
would work.

I would +1 modding the emails coming in
through this channel.  The volume is low
enough that it should not burden the mods.
And to help with any increase in volume,
I’m happy to help with the screening.

Thanks,

Jonathan