Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

От KaiGai Kohei
Тема Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> Is there any reason it's easier to do as a configure option instead of
> an initdb option or better yet a per-database option?

SE-PostgreSQL needs "libselinux" to communicate with SELinux,
however, it is not available for non-SELinux'ed platforms.

> The reason we're shying away from configure options for functionality
> changes is that more and more users are getting pistgres from binary
> distributions. Which option should redhat ship for example?

As we're doing on Fedora, SE-PostgreSQL will be distributed as
a separated package.
If a user want to start SE- version, he will install another
binary package, and stop vanilla PostgreSQl, and start SE-PostgreSQL.

> Also, a configure option is kind if weird since that's a property of the
> binary not the data: what happens if you build a database with selinux
> and the switch binaries to a non-we build? Is that option in pg_control?

In this case, the vanilla PostgreSQL should be simply ignore the
data which is generated by SE-PostgreSQL.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>