Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends

От Kurt Harriman
Тема Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Greg,

Actually I did email this to the list with 4 separate diffs in
4 separate attached files.  I don't know why it appears all
massed together at http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers.
I'll try resubmitting them separately.  The first diff consists
of just the renaming, which is intentionally trivial and boring.
The second diff adds a few extern "C" {...} declarations - also
trivial and boring, but small.  The interesting part is in the
third diff.

Regards,
... kurt

Greg Smith wrote:
> A seriously substantial portion of the diff for this patch all is
> supporting trivial renaming, like changing everything that uses:
>
> -       TypeName   *typename = (TypeName *) cmd->def;
> +       TypeName   *typeName = (TypeName *) cmd->def;
>
> Is that really necessary?  After going through a few pages of diff code
> where supporting this trivial bit was the only change, my eyes glazed
> over.  Minimizing diff size makes it much more likely somebody will
> complete a review of the functional parts of your submission before
> getting bored.
>
> If it is needed, I'd suggest you'd get a warmer reception here
> submitting two diffs, one that just did the renaming and a second that
> actually had the functional bits in it.  Then it would be possible to
> casually scan the renaming one for a second to see it was trivial and
> boring, followed by a review of the functional one that was focused on
> its real changes.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Сообщение: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Сообщение: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends