Re: PiTR and other architectures....

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: PiTR and other architectures....
Дата
Re: PiTR and other architectures....  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner wrote:
> Having just tried to restore a 64 bit BSD database to a 32 bit linux
> machine (using PiTR), I have now realized the (with hindsight, obvious)
> error in my ways.
>
> Now, I need to plan a way forward. From reading of other peoples similar
> problems, I now realize that I need a system with identical on-disk
> formats. Question is:
>
> Is there a simple way to determine compatibility? (eg. a small
> well-defined list of requirements)

initdb on one platform, copy the data directory over to the other
system, and try to start postmaster. It will complain if the on-disk
format is not compatible.

You can also run pg_controlinfo on both systems, and compare the
results. If the "Maximum data alignment", and all the values below it in
the pg_controlinfo output match, the formats are compatible.