Re: Distinct types

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Distinct types
Дата
Re: Distinct types  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 12:21 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> Here is an implementation of distinct types,
>> I'm withdrawing this patch from the current commit fest for further
>> work.  For the record, I have attached the current patch, including the
>> documentation work by Jeff Davis.
>
> Shame, this was sorely needed.

I understand, but the work required to make it work properly is too much
under the commit fest spirit right now.  In particular, I'm thinking we
should try to devise a clever way to make the CREATE ORDERING facility
that SQL has for user-defined types interface with our more general
operator and operator class mechanisms.  This would then also benefit
other sorts of user-defined types.  There are also a number of unclear
assumptions about the domain behavior implicitly in the system that will
possibly require a lengthy shaking-out process if we add other sorts of
derived types.