Re: Specifying text to substitute for NULLs in selects

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: Specifying text to substitute for NULLs in selects
Дата
Re: Specifying text to substitute for NULLs in selects  (Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks guys,

I'm aware of those options, what I was wondering was if there is a more generic way,
for example the Empress RDBMS allows 'set MSNULLVALUE "NA"', and all NULLs
will from then on be output as NA.

The COPY option is closest to a generic setting, but doesn't work with a select query,
just a table dump.

I guess something like the following will work from the shell, although it is hardly elegant :-)...

psql -d DB -Atc "select 'xxxx', attr, attr, attr, 'xxxx' from ....;" | sed 's/||/|NA|/' | sed 's/xxxx|//' | sed
's/|xxxx//'> data.txt

Slightly simpler than the case statement approach in Postgres is COALESCE()

eg:  select COALESCE(attr,'NA') as attr from table;

but this still needs to be applied to every column in the outout which may have nulls. rather than a generic one off
setting.A view using COALESCE() may be the easiest way for users to have this capability automatically..

Thanks,

   Brent Wood

Brent Wood
DBA/GIS consultant
NIWA, Wellington
New Zealand
>>> Said Ramirez <sramirez@vonage.com> 11/08/08 12:34 PM >>>
I think you are more after something like

SELECT CASE WHEN foo IS NULL THEN 'NA' END FROM bar.
   -Said