Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
>> If you do a python version, others will write versions in other
>> languages.
>
> Yeah, if python is not accepted as contrib, then it can probably be
> rewritten in C once it has stabilized enough.

It could. The question is if it makes sense to write something like this
in C, really ;) It might get slightly more portable, at the expense of a
lot more work.

I see no reason why we should on principle reject a python based program
from contrib. We already have stuff there in shellscript which is
actually *less* portable... As long as it's not a core utility needed to
get postgresql working, I think it's fine.

>> I personally don't really care; Perl's main advantage is
>> that it's pre-installed on more OSes than Python is.
>
> I think most (if not all) modern OS's standard setup includes both perl
> and python. Except of course windows which probably includes neither.

Windows ships with neither of the two languages (and you *really* don't
want to write it in vbscript or jscript which is what it does ship with
- other than .BAT). But they both have easy installers you can use to
get it in there - I don't see this as any difference between the two.

And I'll second the comment that I think most reasonably modern
platforms will ship with both of them. AFAIK, many of the newer linuxen
use python based stuff as part of the core installer functionality, for
example.

//Magnus