Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 17:10 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>
> -Stepping back a bit from this particular code, is something in Python
> like this ever going to be appropriate to ship as a contrib module?

I think python should be as good as any relatively widespread language.

Unless we require all contrib to be in C.

> There seems to be a bit more traction in this community for using Perl
> for such things; I might do a Perl port of this one day but that's not
> going to happen soon.

The advantage of python over perl is that anybody who knows at least one
programming language is able to learn basic python in an afternoon.

> If you do a python version, others will write versions in other
> languages.

Yeah, if python is not accepted as contrib, then it can probably be
rewritten in C once it has stabilized enough.

> I personally don't really care; Perl's main advantage is
> that it's pre-installed on more OSes than Python is.

I think most (if not all) modern OS's standard setup includes both perl
and python. Except of course windows which probably includes neither.

Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability   Services, Consulting and Training